Providing Unique solution to the age old problem of Organisations that tend to lose employees and business due to inherent incompetencies of unit heads and management,inorder to sustain business growth and retain talent .
I have never had any hands on experience with private sector organisations or multinational companies but whatever knowledge I have gathered about their functioning and structure is through my husband, who shares about his day’s work experience with me over a tea or coffee, usually when he is back home from work.
From all the insights, i have gathered so far, from his 11 years of work and experience at many organisations, and losing his job twice during our years of love and after our marriage, has pushed me to look up for solutions of problems that are widespread across many private organisations and companies, the problem where companies lose business and good employees because of terrible bosses and office politics.
Writing to CEO’s or Bosses hadn’t been really helpful to me, I hope I reach to them through this platform that mix fix has provided.
I believe a company struggles more with office politics than any other thing but there is another greater issue that is being overlooked today is;
· The company as a whole thinks that an employee is becoming a threat to them who begins to shine and outperform his immediate bosses and colleagues.
· A company that is run by a mindless General Manager (boss) or a CEO who lets his company business suffer just because of pure Office Politics and doesn’t take any steps to curb it moreover falls for the same.
To elaborate on how and why this happens, I have tried to explain this in form of a series, the first problem when an employee becomes a threat to the company.
Now let’s take a deep look into why all this had to happen;
1. The General Manager and the immediate boss of the employee are insecure people.
2. They couldn’t nurture the skills in all the years they were part of the organisation, where a new employee immediately adopts and attributes it.
3. The boss feels threatened about his position taken over by the employee in near future, leaving less or no scope for him to progress.
4. The boss feels inferior since he is getting overshadowed by the impeccable knowledge display of his subordinate employee in internal and external.
5. The boss thinks he is the “Boss” and does not make efforts to keep himself updated or learn. The boss takes it for granted that the employees will make him succeed by providing with all the information he needs. And then due to lack of his knowledge he realizes that he is too dependent on this particular employee, it hits his ego. He eventually fires the employee.
I believe that Business needs to be understood well by the bosses like a mother knows her child. The bosses need to have equal amounts of every emotion and intelligence to assess their company and employees completely, not knowing one and doing over with the other creates gap in the growth and development of a company.
There are many things that can be done to avoid losing an employee and business.
1. When the management selects the boss, it must make sure that the boss has seen success many times in the past and does not crave for success anymore, he concentrates on the success of others they need to look for a matured personality and seasoned professional.
2. The Boss thus recruited keeping in mind point 1 must understand that employees are paid for being smart and not for being dumb. The boss should also understand that the success of the employee is eventually his success and the success of the organisation.
3. Bringing about the capabilities of the employees should be one of the bosses KPI (Key performance Indicators).
4. The CEO should play the role of Unit Heads for at least a month in a year for all the units he heads in order to understand the situation which otherwise he would never know.
5. The CEO’s should not consume information provided by the bosses as it is, if issues are raised like firing a certain employee or about appraisals and promotions, the CEO should themselves get in touch with the concerned employee to evaluate and judge his eligibility for a promotion or termination.
6. Many times losing even a single potentially valuable employee may lead to the closure of the company, talking over the phone, Skype or any other communication medium is not a hassle for a CEO whose objective is running his business successfully.
7. A performing employee should never become a threat instead he should be utilised more for the benefit of the company, the company should fear, that in case the employee gets terminated or he himself resigns may become a real threat if he joins a competitor.
8. From my experience as a teacher, i have seen principals signing and putting his/her comments on each and every child’s report card, if they can do this for a school which has over 1k children and even more than that, then why not a CEO of a million dollar organisation, can involve himself personally, for majorly three aspects like Promotion, Termination and Resignation of Employee.
1. More matured managers would be chosen who would help his employees succeed.
2. Employee Retention.
3. Promote Business Growth.
4. The CEO would be encouraged to get themselves involved personally to get true picture of his business.
5. Lesser conflict leading to higher productivity.
6. It will reduce office politics and internal conflicts.
7. It will strengthen the link between employee and management leading to higher employee loyalty.
8. This will help in creation of flat organisations and reduce hierarchy.
The CEO should be willing to implement this approach in order to retain good employees and make his business successful, assuming if CEO is not willing than nothing can change.
The CEO and the Management should pick up a Unit which has a History of terminations and conflicts and implement the suggested changes to look for results .